Humans from all walks of life and culture have one aspect in common, they love music. We have created all kinds of music with all kinds of items. This has been refined and explored deeper over the centuries. In the present day, music videos have become quite popular. They add movement, visuals, and sometimes a story, to go with the song. This article will be listing the top 10 music videos of all time and why they made the list.
1) “Thriller” by Michael Jackson (1982) – Michael Jackson was a world famous singer during his time and Thriller was easily his most recognizable song. The high energy and dance sequences make this a truly memorable music video. It’s referenced all over pop-culture.
2) “Single Ladies” (Put a Ring on it) by Beyoncé (2009) – Beyoncé is one of the top modern stars in the world. This music video stands out for being simple yet effective in its approach with quick cuts and fast movements.
3) “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift (2015) – She is another global sensation in the music world. The music video in particular stands out for its high budget set pieces and how it mixes with the visuals with the song.
4) “Opposites Attract” by Paula Abdul (1989) – Before becoming an American Idol judge, Paula Abdul was famous in her own right. This music video combines real life and 2D animations in a clean way.
5) “Formation” by Beyoncé (2016) – Her style is so profound that she gets another spot in this top 10 list. This music video has an interesting blend of southern and black culture.
6) “Hotline Bling” by Drake (2015) – On the flip-side, Drake is one of the most famous modern male singers. This music video even spawned a meme that has spread across social media.
7) “Cry Me a River” by Justin Timberlake (2002) – He performed at the super bowl last month. This music video demonstrates that his talent extends way back to his early days.
8) “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga (2009) – Lady Gaga is known for her unusual outfits and this music video strongly displays how that compliments her style.
9) “Hurt” by Johnny Cash (2002) – Unlike many of the music videos on this list, the music video for Hurt is very clamming and melancholy. It’s the kind of song one can relax to.
10) “Gangnam Style” by PSI (2010) – This might just be the most famous music video on this list. It’s currently the most viewed video ever on YouTube.
There are countless music videos out there. This list highlights the best of the best among a wide variety of genres from across several decades of music. The art of music videos will continue to evolve and in time this list may shift.
Joshua Gruss is the Chairman, CEO and founder of Round Hill Music.